Monday, December 16, 2013

Over the weekend...


 

First of all, let me just say that my time since I've been home has been the least bit restful. I've been going and going since the moment I pulled my car in the driveway last Tuesday afternoon. This time of the year can be so crazy, which can be super overwhelming. I feel like this year is even more overwhelming for me since I spend most of my time away from home these days, and everyone wants to get together...but I'm an introvert and sometimes that means I just want to read a book all day, but I can't because the time just isn't there. Wah wah wah. Just keeping it real...

With all of out of the way, let's get onto the weekend!

This weekend was spent doing lots of Christmassy things, which were kicked off by receiving a package in the mail holding the various contents of the first picture in this post. It was so great to walk in the door after my first day back at work, only to find a carefully put together package by a new friend from the Rabbit Room. All of my favorite things...books, tea, and chocolate! Side note: If you enjoy music, movies, and books that surround the topics of faith and art and how you can intertwine the two, please check out that link. It's one of my favorite places, and the people that make up the community are so filled with grace. It's just beautiful, and the perfect picture of what the Kingdom is really like.

Anyway, on Saturday afternoon I got to be with a bunch of ladies from my church, and had the wonderful opportunity to sit at a beautifully dressed table, drink tea, and eat tons of delicious food. It was so good to be back in that place and be surrounded by all of the ladies from my church.

Sunday morning was spent with my Dad getting some Christmas shopping in. We have a tradition where he takes my brothers and I to the mall before Christmas, we pick out some of our Christmas gifts, and then he takes them back to his house, wraps them, and puts them under the tree. Neither of my brothers could go with us yesterday, but it's one of the few traditions that we've held onto in my family. I'm a sucker for tradition, and I'm glad that we still hold onto that one.

Sunday evening, my young adult bible study had their Christmas party. An ugly sweater Christmas party! I had to bring dessert, and had the opportunity to make my first ever pumpkin pie! I was feeling a bit intimidated by the idea of it, but it turned out to be super easy. I got the recipe off of the can of pumpkin, but just in case you're looking for a quick and easy recipe for one of those many Christmas parties you have to go to, maybe this is the one.

Pumpkin Pie
INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 
2 large eggs 
1 can (15 oz.) Libby's Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell 
Whipped cream (optional)
DIRECTIONS 

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.
There you have it! Not original by any means, but certainly quick and easy, and sometimes that's just what you need during this time of the year. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now, here we are onto another week. I'm hoping to find time to slow down and enjoy the wonder of this season. Unfortunately, it doesn't look that that's going to be the case. I think I need to get a planner to write down all of my social engagements for the time that I'm at home so I don't lose track of the plans that I keep making. I hope you are able to slow down, take a deep breath, look around you, and find rest in the beauty of this time of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!